Ride Chartidge

What a fun weekend.

This event was published by British cycling on the events listings.  The Chiltern Hills are a wonderful place for cycling, hills enough to even challenge even the pro's. The Tour of Britain passed though Chesham last year. Whiteleaf Hill features in the 100 best climbs, even if that is way beyond my standard.

I had chosen the shorter, red route, the so called easy option, which was challenging enough. Halfway up Tom's Hill, which is 9.1% at it's steepest.  I had to stop to catch my breath.  Back in the saddle and onward, no way was I going to be caught by the photographer on the brow of the hill, pushing my bike!   Along the flattish to Ashridge, though flowering bluebell woods, refreshing shade and the sounds of birdsong a true pleasure. The "ridge" bit says it all. I felt on top of the world and the views proved it.

The sun shone, arm warmers and jacket off. A glance at the Garmin elevation, showed I was past the highest point. A time to chat with other riders, relaxed and simply enjoying the rhythm of the pedal. One last push into Wiggington village, I felt like Wiggo, even if stopped by the busy road crossing, momentum thrown, and in the wrong gear!  it was a struggle.   The Chiltern Hills felt like mountains, for one who lives on the flat, more of a sprinter than a climber, a tough challenge, even though it was a short 30 miler.

At The Lee Church, my mind wandered to the thought of cream teas. This ride was nearly done, I knew it was just a spin down the lane to the finish.   A slight decent on the finish, wow that's how all rides should end.

The private parking and shower, just a bonus and nothing compared to the pre-event dinner and a weekend away in company of friends - I did hold back on Jean's famously strong gins! even it was a roll out of bed to the start line.

For a school fund raiser, this was a brilliantly organised bike ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LisaEmms: Striving to be sporty cyclist. Loves IKEA sofa & bacon sandwiches, a bit too much. Incurable student. Tech Geek & more.

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts, I reserve all rights to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments)