What do you call a bike


My new shiny bike, named by the manufacturer Specaized, as Amira Sport,  it has a an almost translucent colour with  Lime Green livery.  

By giving your bike a name, it is no longer just a device, it is something you love. All my bikes have had not just manufacturer's names, but personal ones too. Some with more meaning than others, this bike, unlike my others bikes, a name just didn’t come so easily.   After my first 60K or so she was still nameless, then in brilliant sunshine on the local Kentish roads the name just came to me as I looked down at the lime green handlebars at this gift I had brought myself.


Beryl

Beryl

So this bike, just feels like a Beryl, a semi precious stone with the chemical compound  Be3Al2(SiO3)6  they come in different colours including lime green.  Like a Specalized bike, the stones can be found in Europe and California as well as other parts of the world.   You may be familiar with the Dark Green Beryl is also known as an emerald, while the greenish-yellow shades synonymous with heliodor (from Greek hēlios – ἥλιος "sun" + dōron – δῶρον “gift”).  This was a gift to myself, celebrating that I'm 50, and still a child at heart.

Beryl Helidor


Beryl Burton, British cycling legend who dominated women’s cycle racing in the UK, winning more than 90 domestic championships and seven world titles

and finally and perhaps most importantly:
Beryl Adams: My maternal grandmother, not famous but much loved.




1 comment:

  1. My bike is called Mermaid, but not for such prosaic reasons as yours.
    It is because that's what the manufacturer wrote on the side of the frame in big writing :-)
    It is actually my wife's old bike, which I have been using since my folding bike broke (I broke the BB welds on the frame!)
    The frame is a "ladies 17", which is a bit "compact" for me, as I am a good bit over 6 feet, with a 34" inseam.
    But, hey, nobody is likely to steal it!
    My longest ride on it is a 100 mile trip that I did in the summer - and I must admit to a bit of perverse pleasure from achieving that on such an apparently unsuitable bike :-)

    ReplyDelete

LisaEmms: Striving to be sporty cyclist. Loves IKEA sofa & bacon sandwiches, a bit too much. Incurable student. Tech Geek & more.

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts, I reserve all rights to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments)