Cycletta, here we come

Earlier in the spring, my friend challenged me to join a Cycletta bike ride in October, the thought seemed daunting, could I actually ride that far.  Well I guess there is no time limit - I could just take my own pace, plod along the road, the fat fifty year old at the back, count me in I like a challenge.

Over the summer we have been training, going out at least a couple of times a week, exploring the roads of Thanet, sometimes I would even cycle to work to sneak in a few extra miles. Setting small challenges along the way.  15 miles at first was the first big achievement, to be celebrated with cake! On the slightest of hills I would end up pushing.

One evening having stayed on for an extra shift at work,  I had to cycle back home, late in the night, dark. I took the back roads on the country lanes from Eastry in Kent, it was a warm summers evening, I was in no hurry just wanted to get home safely.  My dim lights were aimed on the road, yet I still managed to go into one or two pot holes, I could't see the hills ahead, busy concentrating just looking out for the pot holes. No traffic at all.

I was feeling the bike, feeling the road and the odd bump, feeling the gears.   The air was fresh and there was slight breeze, I could hear every sound, the countryside was smelling good.  This was the first time I had ridden a bicycle with my senses, suddenly it all seemed to be a bit easier, cycling had become natural, cycling in the dark had been a turning point.  Just pedalling to get home, it was a joy, this was just as easy as driving  the car, gone was the normal huff and puff determination, that I had been putting myself through.  The realisation came not only could do this, I was actually enjoying it.

Ecstatic, that I got home before midnight, (really it's not that far), buzzing from the ride, straight online to look at Strava.   I wanted to check the map, I wasn't even sure exactly where I had been!   I know these Kentish lanes in daylight, but at night with poor lights, that's another story.  Certainly not the most direct route home, but who cares I wanted the quiet roads.    I had got up the hills, I had got up them quicker than normal, a personal best time without even trying!  Achieved a couple of virtual trophies, gosh I was so proud, finally I had mastered the gears.  Before daylight, I had been online to buy a very decent set of lights.

The friend and I continue to set small targets to our daytime rides, adding a few extra miles and the odd hill, here and there. Each its own achievement, and a sense of victory, I got up Granville Marina in Ramsgate, then promptly fell off at the top, so excited that I had achieved the climb, that I forgot to unclip from the pedals as I stopped.  Now I just keep going!

Cycle Sh!t Cafe

As winter approaches,  I brought a new pair of jeans,  a size smaller, not even tight!  of course the diet starts tomorrow!  Out with my buddy, on a training ride, we can now hold a conversation, we talk about the upcoming ride, and giggle like teenagers over the lush men we have met in lycra.  60Km isn't going to be as tough as we had first thought.   With three weeks still to go, we are well prepared, now it is just fingers crossed for good weather.

Cycletta Surrey watch out, we have decided to show you what we can do, see you at the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LisaEmms: Striving to be sporty cyclist. Loves IKEA sofa & bacon sandwiches, a bit too much. Incurable student. Tech Geek & more.

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts, I reserve all rights to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments)