Hog's Back

The Hogs Back is so much more than just part of the Cycletta Surrey cycle route.  As I check out the 60K course route, I'm learning something about our, topography, history,  local beer, and the Pilgrims' Way.

The Hogs Back is a name given to the ridgeway on the North Downs, at an elevation of 154 meters, (that's over 500ft for those of you who think in impereal measurements) when I saw that, I had a little panic, living by the coast on the flat, here in the South Eastern corner of Kent, I'm used to starting out for the day on my beloved bike at sea level, and not very often climbing more than 50 meters or so.

Loseley Park
Creative Commons Photo courtesy of,  James Stringer photographer
The Cycletta day we will will be starting at Loseley Park, which isn't at sea level, so its not as bad as I first thought.  Yet The Hogs Back is still raised dramatically around the surrounding countryside the ridge on the North Downs.

I suspect that will be our  maximum hill climb of the day, after  looking at the Cyceletta course route map, over and over again, it looks like we cross it twice!  First from the South, at the easten end,  then again at the not so high point towards the western end.   I'm looking forward to the challenge, hope for a clear day so we get the opportunity to see the spectacular views that were seen by Jane Austen and written in about in a letter to her sister.
"Upon the whole it was an excellent journey & very thoroughly enjoyed by me; the weather was delightful the greatest part of the day. Henry found it too warm, & talked of its being close sometimes, but to my capacity it was perfection. I never saw the country from the Hogsback so advantageously."
The views will have changed since those times, yet still spectacular, I found this facinating BBC, in pictures article, View from the top of the Hogs Back, especially as I may have my head down and be struggling on the climb, too busy pedalling and panting to take it all in, you never ever know with the Great British weather they sky might allow us to take a look at the views.

It's not just Jane Austen who mentions the Hogs Back, there is also a detective novel, The Hogs Back Mystery by Freeman Wills Crofts, could be worth a read, I'll be looking out for it in the local bookstore, to save it for a time to put my feel up, at the end of a hard days cycling with a bottle of the local brew from The Hogs Back Brewery an independent real ale brewery is based in Tongham, one of the villages, just below the ridge that we will cycle through.


The Pilgrims' Way, a hiking route I have often thought about walking, or possibly doing on a mountain bike does not run along the top of the Hog's Back but over the southern slopes, parallel with the ridgeway, and through the village of Puttenham, it looks like our route crosses it.   I'll be checking that out for another day.

So I'm ready,
  • Bring on the Book, 
  • Bring on the Beer - 
First I have small the matter of The Human Race -Macmillan Cycletta Surrey.
Forget the walking boots, Bring on the Bike.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LisaEmms: Striving to be sporty cyclist. Loves IKEA sofa & bacon sandwiches, a bit too much. Incurable student. Tech Geek & more.

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts, I reserve all rights to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments)